Saturday 28 May 2016

London, Hampstead Heath & St Dunstans

Post-exam adventure: days 5 & 6 (the final chapter)

Like Bath, London is not an unfamiliar town to me. I've lost track of how many times I've ventured here, but there's always something new about the city so it is worth coming back to quite often. For the last couple of days, I've undergone an intense period of solo travelling. It was therefore why I decided to switch it up a bit and visit some friends during my first day in the country's capital.

Hampstead Heath
Delicious cakes from BB Bakery
Frisbee fun
Travelling alone is fun, but it's equally nice to have some company at times (in my opinion anyway).

I don't know if you've paid attention to the UK weather forecast recently but the weather was definitely a bit on and off on Friday. From sun to snow then to rain and back, it honestly felt like we were experiencing all four seasons in one day. Luckily for me, when I did need to head out, the sun was also out. It was therefore why I managed to enjoy a long and peaceful walk with company around the entire Hampstead Heath. I consequently rewarded myself with a filling dinner and a long-awaited chat with a different friend in the evening after all that exercise.

Main motivation behind the park stroll
Dinner with the friend
I forgot to mention that we had some cakes before we headed onto the heath. If you're ever in Covent Garden, you should definitely head to BB Bakery in Chandos place. It serves the most beautiful and scrumptious cakes, biscuits and other desserts I've ever had. I think that they also serve afternoon tea on a special double decker bus and Thames Riverside boat -- totally worth trying out if you're lucky enough to secure a spot!

The view from London Bridge
Pumpkin ravioli at Strada
London Bridge
After being accompanied for the entire day on Friday, Saturday was my day to roam around freely by myself. It began with a long stroll around Monument towards St Dunstans (a very nice little park that is worth a visit if you're ever in need of killing time on a sunny day), which then progressed across London Bridge towards Waterloo for a lovely lunch at Strada. Thereafter it was off to shopping around Kensington before 4pm suddenly crept up and I had to leave. It was back up to my uni accommodation shortly after that.

I've been welcomed 
Going around St Dunstans
Oh boo hoo, this completes the final leg of my grand 6 day getaway.

St Dunstans
Monument
The Shard from St Dunstans
St Dunstans
It's sad when things come to an end but, as the saying goes, with every ending comes a brand new beginning - let the travels for 2016 by The Amateur Anthropologist FINALLY begin.

The floral wheelbarrow

No comments:

Post a Comment