Wednesday 4 May 2016

Bath, Prior Park & Wells

Post-exam adventure: days 3 & 4

In this episode of my grand 6 day post-exam adventure, we'll be focusing on Somerset (a south western English county which is home to the famous UNESCO historical spa town Bath). If I could have my pick of living anywhere in the UK, Bath will win hands down. I've been here a fair few times already, to the extent that I know the majority of the main roads and how to get from A to B by heart. However, the feeling of awe towards the elegant Georgian architecture in the town centre has still yet to falter.

The Royal Crescent
The above photo clearly explains this feeling.


Sells the BEST biscuits ever

Totally worth applying for :)

Uber in Bath


Having been to Bath on several occasions, there wasn't much need for myself to go down the stereotypical touristy route of visiting the Roman Baths, Sally Lunn's and the Jane Austen centre (although they are highly recommended if it is your first ever trip). I did stop by several places that I had been to before this current visit, mainly my most favourite shops. Seriously, if you consider shopping to be a therapeutic cure to stress then Bath should be your number 1 stop. I guarantee that you'll definitely find the perfect independent retailer for any need that you may have.

Henrietta Park

Sydney Gardens

Sunny day in Sydney Gardens

However, the highlight of my vacation was clearly my exploration out into the wild unknowns (i.e. I went to a bunch of new attractions that I hadn't had the chance to go to during the previous couple of times I'd voyaged to Bath). Personally, I find fun out of simplicity. And that's precisely why my journey led me to three of the most beautiful parks/gardens in the city. Thanks to the consistently crystal clear blue sky, I managed to take quite a few decent photos in Henrietta Park and Sydney Gardens - don't you think? My favourite park would undeniably have to be Prior Park. It's a bit of a trek to get there (seeing as it's up on a huge and steep hill), but it's totally worth it seeing as you get to see and go through its magnificent Palladium-styled bridge (one of only four left in the entire world).

The lone swing

Bath from Prior Park


The Palladium Bridge
Call me old fashioned but I go with whatever floats my boat (i.e. sightseeing in parks).

I'd planned to have a pause in between my park visit and my next destination, but fate had a contrasting idea in mind. So, after walking back down the hill towards Bath's town centre, I immediately boarded the bus to head to Wells. Famed as the smallest town in England, Wells offered me two spectacular attractions to explore. The first was its cathedral which, not only looked architecturally spectacular on the outside, was equally amazing on the inside. I was most intrigued by its unique scissor curve-shaped arches standing just behind the altar - well worth seeing if you're ever in town. 


Wells Cathedral

The scissor arch

The second was the Bishop's Palace and Chapel, which was located just next to the main cathedral (convenient right?). If the weather hadn't been so sporadic (i.e. sun then snow then rain then sun and again), I would have definitely stayed longer in its 14 acre garden in order to explore every nook and cranny. Apparently you can see Glastonbury Tor from a certain point within the garden - wasn't lucky on that particular occasion but I will make sure I head back so that I can see it next time!


The chocolate jug


Needless to say, all that walking made it a very tiring couple of days. It was therefore enough justification for me to devour an entire pizza plus snacks for dinner on the very last night.


And what about days 5 and 6? You'll just have to wait till tomorrow to see ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment