Wednesday 9 December 2015

Review: Learning Architecture at CSM

The amateur anthropologist architect

 
Usually on my weekends, travelling to a museum or hidden highlight are inevitable. I just love the idea of being able to experience new situations, and simultaneously learn more about life and history. However, as pointed out by the renowned psychologist Vygotsky, one can only learn so much through trial and error. In order to reach our potential, teachers or role models are what we require to become academically adept. And although the traditional note-taking and lecturing techniques may seem rather tedious especially on a weekend, I felt no regrets in enrolling myself into a 2-day architectural drawing course at Central Saint Martins (CSM); for those of you that don’t know, it’s famed for developing the star-studded fashion figures like A McQueen and S McCartney.
 
Why? Simply for the love of learning and sketching.
For such a course, you’d expect there to be some sort of practical element. You guessed correctly. Underneath the baking hot sun that shone through the dusted glass windows, I was able to perch myself on comfy wooden furniture whilst crafting my (very amateur) masterpieces (which were based on the interiors and structures of the captivating building which CSM was in). I was undoubtedly grateful for the guidance and support the course tutor showed me; although we do cover households as a topic in anthropology, we consider it through a more abstract and philosophical angle, rather than an artistic one. Through being taught about the importance of measurements and various viewing perspectives, I was able to progress steadily during the course. Fascination and enthusiasm quickly kicked in, despite the weather beckoning me to go out (it was apparently one of the hottest weekends in London during my time at CSM).
And since it was my first attempt at architectural sketching, I have to say, I think I did alright; don’t you? 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment